Saturday, February 13, 2010

if you were looking...

Josiah, Bo and I took a walk together the other day in search of some small salal plants to dig up and take home. We found a few on the road side that looked small enough to remove, and started digging. He told me that daddy taught him the best way to dig, and made a circle around the desired plant with his shovel blade to define the digging area. We poked our fingers into the dirt, looking around for the plants roots as to carefully remove them.  We chatted about dirt, planting, and the mysteries of living and growing things. I took the liberty of reformatting one of his little "imaginings" into poetic form, as it seemed suited. In his usual helpful spirit, he kindly told me;

"If you were looking,
for what was beneath-
if I were a worm,
I would pop up and tell you!
But just if I knew
that you were looking."


2 comments:

andrea renee said...

He is too sweet. I can just hear him saying those things!

Dani McDowell CD(DONA) said...

Time to blog again! Remember, it's worth it because you can make it into a book with pictures and keep it for a life time! :)
not to mention, I enjoy your posts! ;)