Thursday, August 13, 2009

dozens of pictures and a few jokes

Since the kids don't go to school, I try to do some "official-ish" shots of them individually each year- usually on their birthdays. This year Grammy wanted some framables, so we had a few (painfully goofy) photo sessions. The results are as follows, with some funnies thrown in. The human face is so interesting- the possibilities for expression are endless!






Eva was all dressed up to go to the space needle with Auntie Sarena and Anika. She was so joyful and excited, I think that helped in making the pictures turn out so lovely.





Love, love love that one. (above)


Eva decided yesterday that Bo needed to be more helpful, and she was going to train him to be a guide dog. After a 1/2 hour session of cutting and coloring, a paper vest was produced with the label "Guide Dog" and a graphic of a person in a wheelchair. She called the pup-o-sixty-pounds into the living room, and proceeded to attempt to cape him- twenty minutes of wrestling resulting in failure later, she walked into the kitchen muttering something like... "He's never gonna be a guide dog, that...." -rumpled paper dragging behind. Bo trotting in a little later, looking quite carefree, and still unemployed.



Nomes- a total goofball at heart. :)




This was where she wanted to sit for her photos, but the sun was too bright to turn towards me...










We don't like to waste things in our family, and the kids are always good about re-purposing... Yesterday Naomi was touching a watermelon I was about to slice for her, and she asked me quite sincerely, "Mom, can I hollow this out and use it as my bicycle helmet?"















Bubs isn't fond of photo sessions- we had to tell some pretty gross jokes to keep him around and smiling for these. The "truest" smile is the last, where he's snuggling his beloved Bo-dog.



We were in the car the other day and Bubby said, "Mom, I was thinking, and I thought of a question... Why don't Grammy and Gramps have any kids?!"


(He did figure this out correctly on his own- thankfully.)


The next question was- "Why on earth do we get mail on rainy days?"


And then today, when we got the mail together, he said- "Yay!!"

"What do you mean, 'yay'," I said, "It's just junk!"
"I know! I mean 'Yay', I can burn it!"


4 comments:

Dani McDowell CD(DONA) said...

I love love love those pictures too--- What beautiful children you have!-seriously!
It's so nice that you take the time to get a picture of them each year, can't believe how much they have grown! Some of those close up pictures of Eva could almost look like homecoming pictures or something (not to freak you out!) she just looks so grown up yet full of life and youthful!
Love them all! :)

Keri said...

Josiah is a real little boy now! It's weird how much they grow, huh!

andrea renee said...

those are all lovely pictures of each of the kids! the ones of josiah just floor me though. how old is he?!! I mean, I know... but he just grew up overnight. I love all of those big chocolate eyes :)

Leslie said...

Oh Malena, those pictures are awesome! They could have been taken professionally. Course, it helps to have gorgeous subjects. I can't believe how grown up Eva looks...wow. I just love the comments from the kids that you share on the blog. They will be such fun to look back on in future years.