Saturday, January 2, 2010

wouldn't it be nice


Today was crisp and cool, a lovely day to be outdoors. The girls, dog and I went up to the Lake Youngs Trail; I ran, Bo ran, they rode bikes. It is quite a hilly trail, and muddy this time of year, which makes it challenging. After riding about four miles, Naomi spent some time contemplating who was doing work. Eva was up ahead riding hard, I was running with Bo's leash in one and and the other hand firmly pressing Naomi's back to give her some extra momentum on the hills. She was pumping her tired legs hard as she could, and looking at her drink holder. "We are like a machine, mom, all of us working to move together. Except my water bottle. Wouldn't it be kinda nice to be a water bottle, except alive? Just sittin' there, in your container, not doin' anything, but not gettin' thirsty or hungry. Just seems like it would be nice."

2 comments:

andrea renee said...

oh, I live to hear these Naomi-isms! It makes my day!

Sarena said...

I read this two times and I am still laughing aloud. LOVE the picture of that chillin girl. Naomi, that would be nice indeed.:)