We just returned from BC, where we enjoyed a lovely weekend with Grandmom again. Lydia joined us this time, which was great; although it means extra bickering about who gets to sit next to auntie for each and every meal and ride in the car, it is still, of course, a pleasure to spend time together.


Since we bought a membership to the Vancouver Aquarium last time we went, and also didn't get to see all the creatures, we decided to return for another visit. Saturday dawned bright and clear, and we packed a picnic and planned to spend time outdoors in the beautiful, 1000 acre Stanley Park (wherein lies the aquarium) before going inside. Grandmom was game enough to come along, but stayed in the van for our long walk along the sea-wall, as she thought it far too cold!


Josiah was so pleased to find this little fox head hiding under and overhang. As we started our walk along the sea-wall, he decided to be uncharacteristically daring and walk right on the ledge the entire way. The tide was up, and in some places a little deep, but I decided we could save him if in fact he fell, so didn't say anything and let him proceed. I was so pleased though to still be dry by the end of the first leg.


We set the Lion's Gate Bridge as our goal, and the children made it with ease. What a varied and beautiful view...



We jumped off on a dry spot under the bridge to look at the shells and rocks.




After a little less enthusiasm on the return walk (isn't it always that way?) we fetched Grandmom, coaxed her from the warm van, and enjoyed our picnic in the brisk sunshine. Then we headed over the the aquarium. I couldn't resist snapping the picture below- a "green wall" on the side of the aquarium that I am just smitten with- the sort of thing I love. I know I must never consider building one as my dear husband is completely against plants of any sort touching structures, heaven forbid growing right out of them, but isn't it a beautiful thing? I look forward to watching it fill in over the years.

Josiah was thrilled to see the octopus, which he was so upset about missing last time. It was truly amazing. I won't add anything else about the sea life as not to steal Eva's thunder if she wants to blog about it! :)


I think this looks like a sunset behind Grandmom, but it is really a crocodile habitat.



A real, lovely sunset was happening on our way home to Langley. We were all worn out from our active day. Lydia snuggled with the girls in the back seat, and Grandmom read to Josiah off and on and looked at his "bug cards" with him. They were talking about something, and she couldn't remember what something was called. Josiah looked at her with concern and said, "Grandmom, do you have Alzheimer's?" "Yeah!" Naomi chimed in from the back. "I've been wondering the same thing. You always get our names mixed up with each other!
Do you?" Grandmom laughed gleefully for a good while, and then replied that, thankfully, no; she had been doing that for a very very long time. She usually called their daddy, when he was a little boy, by saying, "Owen,Aaron,Gabe,
Jason!" I told them they ought to feel grateful that their great-grandmother had such a good sense of humor.
3 comments:
the aquarium looks so fun! and poor grandmom, i'm glad she is such good sport :) soon the kiddos will be asking me if I'm losing my mind, i'm sure! I like that pic of bro and sis jason and lyd. They look SO much alike there!
Looks like a fun weekend! I'm glad you had such a great time! Now, don't forget to take lots of Hawaii pictures as I'll want to read a lot of your blogging about that too! .... coming soon!
What special memories you are making with your family! I liked the pic of Grandmom with what looked like a sunset to me as well. Road trips with the family are fun, especially when there is someone dear to visit.
Post a Comment